AIIMS PG exam is an Online based entrance examination conducted by AIIMS (All India Institute for Medical Sciences) for admission to MD, MS, DM, M.Ch, MDS.
The exam is organised twice a year for filling seats in PG courses in AIIMS of different states.
So now before you jump into its preparation pool, you should know the exam pattern that will help you strategize your preparation very efficiently.
Let us take a look at the Pattern of AIIMS PG Examination :
|Name||MD/MS All India Institute of Medical Sciences Examination|
|Conducting Body||All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi|
|Frequency||Twice a year (Jan/Jul)|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Center||All India (64 centres)|
|Exam Mode||Computer-based test|
|Exam Duration||3 hours|
|Number of Questions||200|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions|
AIIMS PG 2020 New MCQ Pattern :
The Questions asked in the examination will be of objective type (MCQs). According to the new AIIMS PG exam pattern 2020, these questions can be further categorised into seven types :
- Single best answer type :
Each question/statement shall have four alternatives/statements of which only one best response is to be selected /marked.
- EXAMPLE :
Q: Which organ forms Albumin?
The answer to the above question is ‘Liver’. Thus, the candidate has to mark ‘d’.
- Multiple true-false type :
Each question shall have a stem followed by five alternatives/ statements and every alternative/ statement will have to be marked as either True or False.
Q :The following statements are true/false regarding currently applicable modified Jones criteria for the diagnosis of Rheumatic Fever
1. Major criteria are similar for both Low Risk and High-Risk populations
2. Doppler echocardiography is recommended for confirming subclinical carditis
3. Monoarthritis is included as one of the major criteria in low-risk population
4. Three minor criteria are sufficient to diagnose subsequent episodes of disease
5. Fever ≥ 37.5°C is a minor criterion
- Match the following type :
Each question shall have two columns with four items in one column (A) that need to be matched appropriately with the best alternative available in the next column(B).
Q: Match column A with B
Column A Column B
1. Lassa fever a. Fruit flies
2. Nipah virus fever b. Culex mosquitoes
3. Kyasanur Forest disease c. Multimammate rat
4. Japanese encephalitis d. Fruit bats
– e. Hard ticks
– f. Cackling Goose
- Sequential arrangement type :
Each question shall have a list of items that need to be arranged sequentially or in order as indicated.
Q: Arrange the following bone tumors/lesions sequentially in the order of prevalence with regard to age: Tumour/ lesion occurring in the youngest age group first and the oldest age group last.
- Ewings Tumour
- Multiple Myeloma.
- Multiple Completion Type :
Each question/statement shall have four alternatives/statements of which one or more may be correct and need to be marked using the following key :
(1) If a, b, c are correct
(2) If a and c are correct
(3) If b and d are correct
(4) If all four (a, b, c, & d) are correct
- Reason Assertion Type :
Each question shall have two statements: Assertion(A) and Reason(B) connected by the term “because”.The answers should be marked appropriately using the following key :
(1) Both Assertion and Reasons are independently true/correct statements and the Reason is the correct explanation for the Assertion
(2) Both Assertion and Reasons are independently true/correct statements, but the Reason is not the correct explanation for the Assertion
(3) Assertion is independently a true/correct statement, but the Reasons is independently a false/ incorrect statement
(4) Assertion is independently a false/incorrect statement, but the Reasons is independently a true/correct statement
(5) Both Assertion and Reasons are independently false/incorrect statements
- Extended Matching Items / Questions (EMI /EMQ)
Each EMI /EMQ will broadly have the following components.
1) Theme & Focus
2) Answer option list
3) Lead-in question
4) Scenarios or Vignettes.
Marking Scheme :
|Type of MCQ||Correct||Wrong||For Review||Not Answered|
|Single best Response||+1||-1/3||0||0|
|Multiple True False*||+1/5||-1/5||0||0|
|Match the Following*||+1/4||-1/4||0||0|
*For each alternative/ response in the MCQ
** If there are two scenarios in each question
Tie Breaker Criteria :
The overall merit will be based on the percentile scores. If two or more candidates obtain the same marks, the merit will be determined based on the following methods;
1. Candidates obtaining higher aggregate marks in all the MBBS/BDS professional examinations shall be placed higher than candidates with lower aggregate marks in MBBS/BDS professional examinations.
2. In case there is still a tie, after step (i) above, according to age (Date of birth), the older candidate shall get preference over the younger one.
For all the Information about AIIMS PG, you can visit the AIIMS Official Website.
Also Check :